No one is going to believe this cake is gluten free! This Flourless Almond Honey Cake with Berries is divine.
- 1/4 C olive oil plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 3/4 C Almond Flour plus some for dusting pan
- 1/3 C potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar divided
- 2/3 C honey divided
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 large eggs separated plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extra
- berries for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place oven rack in bottom 1/3 of oven.
- Brush bottom and sides of 9 inch springform with olive oil and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Brush parchment with more olive oil and dust with almond flour.
- Mix together almond flour, potato starch and salt in a bowl.
- In mixer combine 1/2 C sugar, 1/3 C honey, lemon zest, 4 egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract and olive oil.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in almond flour mixture until just incorporated.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1/2 C sugar, until glossy peaks form. About 3 minutes.
- Gently fold the egg white into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. About 50-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Remove from pan/ Run a knife around the edge first to loosen it from pan.
- Mix together 1/2 C sugar, 1/3 C honey, juice from two lemons and 1 C water. Bring to a simmer over high heat and simmer until reduced over medium heat. Should take about 20 minutes and become syrupy.
- Brush part of the syrup mixture over the top of the cake.
- Top with berries and drizzle with more honey mixture (may not use all of it)